Friday, June 18, 2010

One Door Away From Heaven (the book, not me!)

Since I've been on summer break, I have been....pretty much as busy as it gets! I signed up for two summer classes but decided not to squeeze them in last minute and thank goooodness that I didn't! I'm sure if it worked out and I had pressed forward to summer school I would manage it, but when you're on the other side of the spectrum filling your time with packing, kid stuff, vacation fun, workity work, etc. etc., it's hard to figure out where you could possibly find the time.

So while I've been on this summer "break," I've been finally catching up on some much-anticipated recreational reading. The last day or two of the beach trip, I finally cracked open my newest Dean Koontz thriller One Door Away From Heaven. I'm on page 501 of 681 and I can't wait to know what happens next!

I love his writing so much and whenever I start reading him, I can't help but narrate every single thing that I'm doing when I have the chance. His writing is so addictive...it captures the "why" of every action and emotion that would always certainly be overlooked if you were watching it play out in front of your eyes. Like, the other day I was meeting the work girls for a lunch meeting at this "shady" deli off Walnut Street in Roanoke.

Normally, I probably wouldn't have thought anything past This place is dark, and smells old. But with Koontz-style narration still fresh in my mind, I almost sort of discussed the deli with myself in third person, commenting on how "she" (I) sat in the corner of a dark room surrounded by a musty sea reminding visitors of the history of the building. Describing how the chandeliers were suspiciously turned down and the sunlight beaming from the front windows still couldn't illuminate the blackened hole beneath "her" (my) feet. Something like that that went on for a while until they actually arrived lol! I know, I know. It's crazy! But I just can't help it! Really though, that place gives me the *creepers* a little bit! The carpet is so dark, you don't know if it's from age, original coloring, or just filthy mc-nastiness! ...I wouldn't write that in a book. :)

This is all for tonight...the kids are tucked away, we have a big moving sale tomorrow (yay!) and of course, I have some reading to get done :) Hoping to find out what happens soon!

Tanya

No comments: