I don't remember much about what I was doing on any particular day nine years ago, but I do remember, in great detail, the morning of September 11th. I had fallen asleep on the couch the night before, as I often did (and sometimes still do...) and I was awakened by a call from my then long-distance boyfriend telling me a plane crashed into this tall building in New York. I was still pretty sleepy-eyed so I finally turned on the news and didn't think "too" much of it, sort of assumed it was a bad accident but something we could control and prevent from doing too much damage. But then again, I was 16 and thought every bad thing could be fixed.
While I was watching the news, still on the phone, the second plane hit and the startled reaction of the news reporters caught me off guard. I was surprised to hear their concern and panic as we all watched it happen at the same time. That's when I sat straight up and realized something larger than what I tried to label was happening.

I remember being in my room listening to patriotic music on the radio station and hearing other listeners call in with their thoughts, fears and prayers. I remember every American flag sold out across the county and flown both high and proud by every person who could find one. Even though there was such a sadness, there was such a unity. Every person you passed was happy to nod at you or offer you their very best and kindest attitude because, for a moment, everyone was equally identified as American.
Nobody was ashamed of our flag, and more importantly, what it stood for. And nobody was worried if it's appearance would offend anybody. It was more important to unified as a nation than to be sensitive to our guests. For a short time, everyone cared and greatness, morality, ethics, freedom and constitutionalism were the most important issues in American lives.
But, just as time heals all wounds, the sting of 9/11 dulls every year. We are left empathetic for the lives that were personally touched, but united patriotism becomes a little less a feeling and more a memory.
I say, if you can recall where you were, who you were with, what you were doing or what you were feeling, I'd encourage remembering how recovering felt in the days, weeks and months that followed after...sad, but strangely uplifted? Angry, but of one accord? Like you could imagine standing shoulder to shoulder with any American, liking arms with them and circling around the nation?
No matter what your view on politics, presidencies, wars...whatever! Don't let it take another tragedy to remind you that as an American, you are part of something great, strong and important.
Know what you intend to remember to understand what it means to "never forget".
No comments:
Post a Comment