Sunday, November 7, 2010

What do you see?

In everything, artists see creativity, writers see description, musicians see composition, cooks see the culinary, comedians see humor, emergency managers see exits and singers see good opportunities for songs at karaoke.

I know it's bold to make a statement that is supposedly applicable in everything, but wouldn't you agree?

I mean, if you identify with any of the above, and I know there are plenty more categories, what do you see? Imagine a walk down a quiet sidewalk at night and you come across an old brick building.

An artist will consider the angles for the perfect picture, a writer might begin to describe the way it feels to be there and how the night looks in contrast to the environment he stands. A cook might consider it a great place for a restaurant or notice lingering scents, a comedian might comment on the desolate condition or what is just beyond eye's reach.

An emergency manager might consider the fire compliance or the availability of the area as a shelter, a musician may hum a composition based on how they feel and a singer might be reminded of any song with the word "brick" and decide whether they would be good enough at it to sing in front of people.

Maybe this theory is no science, but again I ask, what do you see? The roles you play will affect the way you see the world around you. What you decide to make important will shape the rest of your life. If you don't agree, consider asking yourself what you see when you're alone. What do you hear? What do you notice? What are you inspired to do naturally?

I see the world through several different roles, and it always amazes me the different perspective of the people around me. Is the fact that I paint my scenario with words any more descriptive or accurate than the person who realizes it's not a safe place to be? Maybe some of the viewpoints are a little funny, but all important, all a new perspective of the things others miss in their natural perception.

I don't see how some things are beautiful the way an artist might until I consider their point of view. Often, I break down the composition of something only after I have looked at it in literal terms. I wonder if that makes me a lyricist first and a musician next...that would actually make a lot of sense...

The point is, everyone sees things through a different perspective, a different life, a different motivation. But another perception is not always what is right or what is wrong, just what may be foreign. I'm finding as I consider the perspectives of the people around me, my understanding of my own view is enhanced, and I'm finding deeper meaning in the end.

1 comment:

wigginflak said...

hey tanya this is awesome! love your poetic insight into different people! :)

~emily h.